Jun 19, 2024  
Catalog 2023-2024 
Catalog 2023-2024 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Programs of Study - Transfer Programs


Michigan Transfer Pathways

Community colleges and universities have collaborated to simplify the transfer process by developing MiTransfer Pathways. These transfer pathways build on the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA), which makes it easier for students to transfer their general education courses earned at North Central Michigan College to participating four-year institutions in Michigan. View North Central Michigan College’s MTA requirements. The MTA along with the courses listed in each program are required to complete the credential.

Charting Your Path to a Bachelorʼs Degree

North Central offers three degree programs for students who plan to transfer to senior institutions: the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science and Associate of General Studies.

North Central students have the assurance of transfer agreements between colleges, along with curriculum guides and an important website, https://www.macrao.org/transfer-student-resources, to verify the transferability of courses. The website is maintained by the Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (MACRAO) and is easy to use. Participating colleges and universities post online transfer guides on the MACRAO site.

North Central students who expect to transfer to a senior institution should plan their programs of study with the help of a North Central academic advisor or counselor and an admissions advisor from the college or university they wish to attend.

Suggestions for transferring are contained in this catalog to help students select courses that may be applied toward the requirements of bachelorʼs degrees at other institutions. These should not be considered a replacement for transfer guides from the senior institutions.

Checklist for Transferring

  • Identify the four-year college or university of your choice as early as possible.
  • Meet with North Central counselors and academic advisors to keep current with transfer issues, to satisfy your associate degree requirements and to ensure transferability of courses.
  • Attend transfer events. Meet with representatives from Michiganʼs four-year universities. Visitation dates and scholarship information are listed on the Collegeʼs website, posted on bulletin boards throughout campus and posted in Student Services.
  • Follow the transfer guide, prepared by the four-year university, which lists course requirements for your specific transfer program. Inquire about the MTA Agreement. Check out https://www.macrao.org/transfer-student-resources.
  • Apply to the four-year college or university of your choice in a timely manner. Applications for admission are available online at the college or university website.


To graduate with a degree, a student must complete the total number of credit hours required for the degree being sought, even if courses have been waived or competency has been demonstrated through ACT, SAT, COMPASS, ACCUPLACER, or CLEP testing scores.

*When transferring to another college or university, you may be required to take the courses that were waived or competency demonstrated at North Central.