Jul 19, 2024  
Catalog 2020-2021 
Catalog 2020-2021 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Paying for College - Financial Aid


Paying for College

Tuition and Fees

The Board of Trustees establishes tuition and fees. Tuition, fees, refunds and deposits are subject to change, at any time, at the discretion of the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees typically establishes tuition rates for the upcoming academic year each spring. For current rates, go to www.ncmich.edu/paying-for-college/north-central-cost-calculator.html, or contact Student Services or the Business Office.

Residency for Tuition Purposes

North Central recognizes three residency groupings for purposes of levying tuition rates: in-district (Emmet County residents), in-state (Michigan residents who live outside of Emmet County) and out-of-state (residents of other states). For residency determination, a student must have resided within the State of Michigan or in Emmet County for at least six months immediately prior to the first day of classes of the semester in which he/she plans to enroll. The College verifies a student’s residency each fall semester. The College reserves the right to require residency documentation at any time.

Students who change their legal residence must complete a Residency Change Application available in Student Services. The form must be accompanied by documentation proving legal residency. Proof can be a Michigan driver’s license, rental lease or agreement, property tax receipt, voter registration card, or an identification card from a Secretary of State office. The form and corresponding documentation must be received in the Registrar’s Office on or before 5pm of count date, in the semester petitioned for residency change.

The College reserves the right to make the final decision on residency eligibility. Students who are in the United States under various non-immigrant visa categories are not eligible for in-district or in-state residency status for tuition purposes. A Residency Review Committee consisting of the Vice President of Student Affairs and Vice President of Finance and Facilities will hear appeals of residency classification as established by the College. Any adjustment made in tuition because of a change in residency status will not be retroactive.

Calculating Tuition and Fees

There are various components to calculating your college costs for each semester. Definitions for each component follow the Tuition and Fee Calculator.

The calculator produces only an estimated cost. Actual costs will be calculated at the time of registration.

Tuition Calculator:


Net Price Calculator

All Title IV schools that enroll full-time, first-time degree- or certificate-seeking undergraduate students must have a net price calculator on their website. The net price is defined as the cost of attendance minus the average yearly grant and scholarship aid. The calculator provides estimated net price information to current and prospective students and should be based, as much as possible, on their individual circumstances.


Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition and fees is due at the time of registration unless the student has financial aid that has been certified by the Financial Aid office of North Central Michigan College. Full payment can be made online using a credit card, or in person in the Business Office using a credit card, check or cash.

North Central offers a deferred payment plan that provides a low-cost option for budgeting tuition costs and other education expenses. To learn more about and enroll in the plan online, go to www.ncmich.edu/paying-for-college/how-to-pay-for-college.html. During early registration periods prior to each semester, students can register with payment deferred until a specific published date. The College reserves the right to drop a student from all classes by the published due date unless full payment is made, the student has certified financial aid or the student has signed up for the deferred payment plan.

College Refund Policy

Under specific conditions, North Central Michigan College grants refunds for tuition and course fees to students who officially withdraw from the College or reduce contact hours (per refund schedule). If the student receives assistance from College funds or other sources managed by the College, the refund is returned to the appropriate scholarship or grant fund. Refunds for a student with a Direct Student Loan who withdraws from the College will be sent to the student’s lending institution. If North Central cancels a course, 100 percent of the tuition and fees will be refunded.

Refund Schedule

Refunds will be made according to the following schedule:

  • Seven Week up to Full Semester Courses:  Starting the first scheduled week of a class, 90 percent of tuition and fees will be refunded until 5pm on the fifth consecutive business day (Monday - Friday). After that time, there will be no refund. (See Academic Calendar for Specific Dates)
  • Less than Seven Week Courses:  100 percent of tuition and fees will be refunded if the course is dropped prior to the first class meeting. After that date, there will be no refund.

Appeals for refunds after the add/drop deadline must be made in writing to the Registrar at North Central, 1515 Howard Street, Petoskey, MI 49770. A Refund Appeals Form, available in the Student Services office, must be completed and submitted for an appeal to be reviewed. Requests for refunds are accepted for one year after the course was taken.

Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver

Emmet County senior citizens, defined as residents age 60 or older, will be granted tuition-free enrollment subject to the following conditions:

  • The waiver will be effective the first semester following the semester in which the resident reaches age 60.
  • Minimum class size must be attained without considering Emmet County senior citizen enrollment.
  • Senior citizens must meet regular course entry requirements.
  • Maximum class size shall not be exceeded by the enrollment of senior citizens. 
  • Senior citizens must pay all regular fees, including registration, course, laboratory, technology, building and energy conservation, student success and activity.

Financial Aid

North Central Michigan College is committed to providing qualified students with financial aid programs to assist them in achieving their educational goals.

Application Process

Students must apply for financial aid each academic year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.FAFSA.gov. The FAFSA is available after October 1 for the next academic year. Students are advised to apply as early as possible. When funds are limited, awards may be granted to applicants who meet all requirements and have a complete financial aid file by May 1. North Central will review the FAFSA results as received from the U.S. Department of Education to determine eligibility and the amount of students’ awards based on Federal regulations.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

Financial aid awards are determined and disbursed in compliance with established Federal, State and Institutional regulations and may change without notice. General eligibility requirements for aid include the following:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a high school diploma, GED certificate, or completed home schooling
  • Be accepted for admission as a regular student and be completing a degree or certificate in an eligible program of study
  • Have financial need based upon the College’s Cost of Attendance, the student’s need as determined by the FAFSA, the program requirements set by the U.S. Department of Education or State authority
  • Be making satisfactory progress

Students may access the U.S. Department of Education’s website for further Federal financial aid requirements at http://www.studentaid.ed.gov. In addition, the College’s Financial Aid Office can be contacted for further information on eligibility, award amounts and all financial aid programs. It is the student’s responsibility to read and become familiar with policies and procedures and respond to all correspondence concerning financial aid. Failure to do so does not excuse a student from the requirements or policies necessary in administering aid programs.

Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations

A conviction for any offense during a period of enrollment for which a student was receiving Title IV, HEA program funds, under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs, will result in the loss of eligibility for any Title IV financial aid, including Pell and FSEOG grants, Federal Direct Loans and Federal Work-Study.

Enrollment Status

Each semester, eligibility and award amounts are final­ized by reviewing enrollment status and other program requirements. Full-time enrollment is 12 credit hours and above; three-quarter time enrollment is 9 to 11 credit hours; half-time enrollment is 6 to 8 credit hours; and less than half-time enrollment is 5 or fewer credit hours. Program eligibility requirements and payments can vary depending on enrollment status.  Financial Aid will cover only the courses in a student’s declared program of study. The financial aid award is based on enrollment after the schedule adjustment (refund) period is over.

Book Purchase and Award Payments

Eligible students with awarded Federal Aid may charge their books in the College Store against their semester aid.   Financial aid award payments are applied to students’ accounts each semester of enrollment within two weeks after the add/drop date.  Student loans to first time borrowers are applied to students’ accounts approximately 30 days after the start of the semester (per U.S. Department of Education regulation).  Refunds for aid that exceed tuition, fees, books and campus housing meal plan, if applicable, are issued within 14 days of the award payment to the students’ account.   Students can select the way they would like to receive their refund - electronically or with paper check.

Attendance at Multiple Institutions

Students may not receive financial aid from two institutions concurrently. Students are responsible for any over-awards and will not be eligible for further aid until any funds are repaid.

Guest Students

Students who are enrolled at North Central Michigan College as guest students are not eligible for federal financial aid or North Central Michigan College Foundation scholarships. A guest student is defined as someone with a home institution other than North Central where the student is pursuing his/her education credentials.

Study Abroad

Students may be eligible for Federal financial aid for attending a study abroad program that is approved for credit by North Central Michigan College.  The College does not currently offer any study abroad programs.  Contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy and Complete Withdrawal

If a student totally withdraws from school “officially” or “unofficially”, before the term is completed and is the recipient of Title IV funding, the Financial Aid Office is required to calculate both the earned and unearned aid for the semester.  Title IV funding includes financial aid in the form of Pell Grants, Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, Parent PLUS Loans and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG).  If the student received more assistance than they “earned” by only attending a portion of the semester, the excess funds must be returned by North Central and/or the student to the U.S. Department of Education.

The federal return calculation requires a return of Title IV financial aid be completed if the student received any Title IV financial aid and the student withdrew before completing 60% of the semester.  To calculate the amount of aid the student has earned up to the date of withdrawal for official withdrawals or the last date of attendance for unofficial withdrawals, divide the number of calendar days the student attended classes by the number of calendar days in the semester/term (scheduled breaks of 5 days or longer are excluded).  The resulting percentage is then multiplied by the total Title IV funds that were awarded and disbursed or that could have been disbursed to the student.  This is the earned amount of Title IV aid that the student can keep.  The unearned amount must be returned to the U.S. Department of Education by the College and/or the student.

Unearned Title IV aid must be returned in the following order:      

Unsubsidized Direct Loans

Subsidized Direct Loans

Parent PLUS Loans

Pell Grants

FSEOG Grants

Other Title IV Aid

As required by the U.S. Department of Education regulation, all required Return of Title IV calculations are processed within 30 days of the date stamped on the student’s record for students who officially withdrew using the drop function in the Student’s Portal or the date of the student’s notification, whichever is later.  For students who unofficially withdraw, Return of Title IV calculations are also processed no later than 30 days after the end of the period of enrollment for students who unofficially withdrew by using the date given by the instructor as the last date of attendance.  The College is required to return the unearned portion of the student’s Title IV aid to the U.S. Department of Education within 45 days of the date the College determined was the official drop date on the student’s record or date of student’s notification to withdraw for official withdrawals and for unofficial withdrawals using the date instructor listed as last date of attendance.

If a student did not initially receive all of the funds they earned, the student may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement.  If a student’s post-withdrawal disbursement includes Pell and FSEOG Grants, the funds will be transferred into the student’s College account to pay outstanding charges.  If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, the College has 30 days from the withdrawal date to obtain the student’s written permission and/or parent’s written permission in the case of a Parent PLUS Loan prior to transferring into the student’s College account.  The student may choose to decline the loan funds so as not to incur additional debt.

Once the determination of earned and unearned aid has been made, withdrawn students will be notified via U.S. Postal Mail or student email of their eligibility for funds and the amount to be returned.

Financial Aid Office Code of Conduct

Financial aid office employees follow North Central’s Ethical Standard for Faculty, Staff, Administration and the Board of Trustees. In addition, as a member of the National Student Association for Student Financial Aid Administration - NASFAA - financial aid employees follow the NASFAA Statement of Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct for Financial Aid Professionals.

Financial Aid - Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

In addition to meeting individual financial aid program requirements, students must make satisfactory academic progress toward completing a degree or certificate program to receive aid.  The North Central Michigan College Academic Progress Policy applies to all students who receive financial aid from any financial aid program administered by the College, unless exempt by the program.  Federal regulations require that colleges review all enrollment periods and credit hours taken whether or not Title IV financial aid was received.

Satisfactory Academic Progress is monitored at the completion of each period of enrollment.  This includes fall semester, winter semester and summer term.

Eligibility Requirements:

A student must meet all three of the following requirements:

Minimum grade point average (GPA) requirement: All financial aid students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA to be eligible for financial aid for the following semester/term; AND

Minimum completion factor requirement: All financial aid students must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of all credit hours attempted, whether or not financial aid was received for those attempted credits.  Successful credit hours completed include all transfer credits accepted and all grades recorded on the transcript of 4.0 through .67.  When calculating the completion factor the following designations are considered attempted but not successfully completed:  Incompletes (I), 0.0 grade (E), withdrawals (W), and repeated courses (R).  Note:  Students cannot receive financial aid for audited (AU) classes and these credits are not included in attempted hours.  AND

Maximum time to complete Degree (150% Rule): All financial aid students cannot attempt more than 150% of the official North Central Michigan College academic program requirements or 90 credit hours (whichever is lower).  Aid eligibility concludes after this time frame, pending mitigating circumstances.  Attempted credit hours include:  credits transferred from another college; incompletes; 0.0 grade (E); withdrawals; and repeated courses.   All of these designations of attempted credit hours are included in the 150% Rule calculation and will impact how quickly the student reaches their maximum credits allowed for their academic program requirements.

Students who have exceeded the maximum attempted hours (150% Rule) to complete their degree, have changed their program of study, or wish to pursue a second degree program must submit an appeal.  Note:  North Central Michigan College students may only earn one of the following degrees:  Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), or Associate of General Studies (AGS).

In the event a student has a grade change after official grades have been posted to their transcript, the financial aid office should be notified by the student so a recalculation of satisfactory academic progress can be calculated and reevaluated for eligibility.

Financial aid recipients who are not meeting the academic progress policy eligibility requirement will be notified of their status by letter or email.

Remedial / Developmental Courses

All developmental courses are included in the satisfactory academic policy calculations for GPA and completion rate.

Repeated Courses

  1. A student may repeat a previously passed course once and receive financial aid for it.  The student must appeal for consideration of this condition.
  2. A student may repeat a failed or withdrawn course until it is passed.
  3. Aid will be re-calculated based on the student’s adjusted enrollment status regardless of whether the student received aid for previous course enrollments.
  4. Repeated courses are considered attempted but not successfully completed.

All of the above apply as long as the student is meeting the three eligibility requirements listed under “Eligibility Requirements”.

Financial Aid Warning Status

Financial aid recipients who do not meet the eligibility requirements will be placed on a Warning Status semester/term of financial aid to move toward acceptable GPA and/or completion rates.  The student will continue to receive financial aid during this semester/term.  Students who fail to make satisfactory academic progress after the Warning period will become ineligible and have their financial aid withdrawn until they meet the standard.

Reinstatement After Ineligibility

With the exception of the 150% Rule, a student may be reinstated after meeting one of the following conditions.  Classes taken at institutions other than North Central are not considered for reinstatement purposes.

  • The student has taken, without funding from the financial aid office, at least six credit hours and has passed those six credit hours with a grade of “C” or better and informed the financial aid office.  The student will be given aid on a Warning Status for the next semester/term the student attends NCMC.
  • The student has taken, without funding from the financial aid office, enough credit hours to meet the GPA and completion rate requirements and informed the financial aid office.  The student will be reinstated without Warning Status.

Financial Aid Probation Status

Financial Aid Probation Status is assigned to a student who fails to make satisfactory academic progress, is terminated, has appealed, and then has had eligibility for aid reinstated for one semester/term.  Specific conditions (e.g. reduced course load) may apply to the student’s probation period.  The student’s responsibilities during the Probation semester/term include following the academic plan developed with an advisor and ensuring successful completion of courses to meet the GPA and completion factor requirements.

Appeal and Appeal Process

A termination appeal can only be considered if it is an extraordinary event that prevented the student from achieving satisfactory academic progress.  A student whose financial aid has been terminated may appeal in writing to the Director of Financial Aid.  The written appeal must:

  1. Explain any mitigating, extenuating or special circumstances.  Examples include but are not limited to:  injury, illness, death of immediate family member.
  2. Tell why the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress.
  3. Describe what has changed in the student’s situation that will allow the student to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress at the next evaluation.
  4. Contain an academic plan, developed with an advisor.
  5. Include appropriate documentation.  Acceptable documentation includes letters from a physician, attorney, social service agency, parole officer, or an obituary notice, divorce decree and/or academic records. 

Appeals can result in a) denial of reinstatement and students must then follow the “Reinstatement after Ineligibility” conditions to regain eligibility, or b) Probation Status with reinstatement of the student’s financial aid for one semester/term.  The result of an appeal will be communicated to the student and recorded in the student’s financial aid file.  A student may file a satisfactory academic progress appeal only one time.

*Note: As of 3-13-18, this Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy supersedes any previous policies.

Financial Aid Programs


Grants offered at North Central are funds that do not have to be repaid. Grants are primarily based on dem­onstrated need and are developed for students who do not possess a bachelor’s degree. Students apply using the FAFSA.

Federal Pell Grants

A federal award based on financial need. Awards are based on enrollment status from full- to less than half-time depending on individual eligibility.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

A federal award based on financial need. Priority is given to Pell grant recipients. The award amount is determined by the College based on funds available.

Michigan Tuition Incentive Program (T.I.P.)

A State award that provides for tuition and fees at the resident college rate to students who complete high school or their GED prior to the age of 20. The Michigan Department of Treasury, through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Medicaid records, certifies eligibility for each recipient.  Students must complete the TIP application with the State before the deadline, complete a FAFSA, and enroll in at least six credit hours.


Scholarships are funds that do not have to be repaid. They are based primarily on academic achievement and may or may not be based on need. Outside/private scholarships have deadlines established each academic year.

Michigan Competitive Scholarship

A State program for students who achieve required scores on the SAT exam and have financial need. The Michigan Department of Treasury determines eligibility and the award amount.

North Central Michigan College Presidential Scholarship

A graduate from each public and private high school and one home-schooled student within North Central’s service area are eligible to receive the Presidential Scholarship. North Central’s service area encompasses Emmet, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Otsego, Presque Isle, Antrim and Mackinac counties. To be considered, a student shall be either a valedictorian, salutatorian, or have a 3.5 overall high school grade point average; meet pre-established placement scores; and apply for admission to North Central by early spring. The award is for full-time tuition and fees for two academic years (Fall and Winter semesters). The award is renewed each semester the student maintains eligibility. The application process for home-schooled students can be found here: www.ncmich.edu/paying-for-college/scholarships/presidential-scholarship.html

North Central Michigan College Foundation Scholarships

Through generous donations from the community, the College makes available a variety of scholarships. Many have a need component. Students should file a FAFSA along with the North Central Michigan College Scholarship application found online at http://www.ncmich.edu.

Student Employment

Students file the FAFSA to be considered for Federal work study. Work study is need-based aid. Students receive a paycheck for the hours they work. The maximum amount a student may earn is specified. Students can apply for job openings through the Financial Aid office.

Federal Work Study

Provides up to 20 hours per week of primarily on-campus employment to students with financial need. Limited community service positions are available off-campus.

Student Loans

Student Loans are borrowed money and require repayment with interest. Repayment begins six months after a student ceases to be enrolled half-time. Students are required to file for financial aid using the FAFSA before a loan request can be considered. Loans are awarded using U.S. Department of Education regulations. Students must be enrolled at least half-time and be making academic progress to receive loan consideration. Students should borrow only what they realistically can repay. The approved loan amount is determined by the student’s financial need, other financial aid and resources, program limits and the loan amount requested. The school determines the eligibility for a federal student loan. The College can refuse to certify a loan application or can certify a loan for an amount less than the student would otherwise be eligible for if the College documents the reason for its action and explains the reason in writing. The College’s decision is final and cannot be appealed to the federal government. Students are encouraged to access web information at http://www.studentloans.gov and at the College’s website before taking out a loan. Academic history will be considered, regardless of overall GPA. Excessive withdrawals and/or incomplete grades could result in denial of funding. Previous defaults are not considered for loan funding. Students should contact the Financial Aid office for ad­ditional information and the steps to request a loan.

Federal Direct Loans

For those students with financial need, the government pays the interest during school periods with a subsidized Federal Direct Loan. If eligible, a student may receive loan funds beyond the subsidized loan limit or, if he/she does not have a financial need, through an unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan. Loan maximums are set by the government but may be limited because of student eligibility. All students receiving subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans participate in mandatory entrance and exit counseling online. The counseling takes place prior to the first disbursement of a loan. Online loan counseling is accessed through the College website. Loan entrance and exit counseling presents information regarding the responsibilities of indebtedness, repayment options and the consequences of failing to repay a loan.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans

North Central requires a student to file a FAFSA to be considered for this non-need based loan. The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is for parents who want to borrow money to help pay for their dependent child’s education. This loan is based on the parents’ credit rating.

Federal Student Loan Deferment

Deferment is a period of time during repayment of a Federal Direct Loan in which the borrower, upon meeting certain conditions, is not required to make payments. The most typical deferment conditions are continuing study at an approved school with at least half-time enrollment, unemployment and economic hardship. Students must apply for deferment by contacting their servicer or printing a deferment form from http://www.studentaid.ed.gov.

Other Resources


Veterans and veterans’ dependents are encouraged to contact the Academic/Veterans Advisor in the Student Services office at (231) 348-6820 or mcolby@ncmich.edu for information about Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) benefit eligibility in the areas of: Education, Employment, Healthcare and Quality of Life. The VA Certifying Official on campus can assist students with applying for VA educational benefits and will certify enrollment each semester. The student must request certification each semester with the VA Certifying Official. Students are required to make satisfactory academic progress to continue receiving benefits. All changes of address, program of study and withdrawals from courses must be reported immediately to the VA Certifying Official. For more information, visit http://www.gibill.va.gov.

Women’s Resource Center Funds

The Women’s Resource Center has limited funds available to students who are single parents, displaced homemakers and those in nontraditional academic pro­grams for their gender. FAFSA filing is required.

Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians

Contact the Education department at (231) 242-1492 for resources available to LTBB members.

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

Michigan residents who are North American Indian and are certified one-quarter blood quantum by their tribal association may be eligible for tuition assistance funding. A Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver Application must be completed. Students should contact their tribal education office.

Michigan Works!

Michigan Works! offers career guidance and basic skill development for adult learners.

Funds are available for students in vocational programs who are economically disadvantaged, long-term unemployed or dislocated workers. Eligible students may receive funding for tuition, fees, books, supplies and mileage. For more information, students should contact their regional Michigan Works! office.

Petoskey-Harbor Springs Area Community Foundation

Scholarship funds for graduating high school seniors or graduates from Emmet County. Contact the Foundation at (231) 348-5820 for current scholarships and deadline dates.

T.E.A.C.H. Scholarships

State funds are available for tuition, fees, books and stipends for students currently working in participating early childhood education programs. For more information, visit http://www.miaeyc.org.